Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pre-Christmas Thoughts

Jake's in bed sleeping quite peacefully, and I'm enjoying a glass of wine, admiring our Christmas decorations, listening to Christmas music, and clearing our camera of pictures from the past couple of weeks. I found this great one of Jakey checking out the tree last weekend when we first put everything out.


Jake loves the tree, especially an ornament of Sports Center Santa that Ben and I bought last year. He laughs and giggles and points every time he sees it. We can tell he's excited about all that's happening, he's just not sure what exactly it is that he's excited about. Ben and I put together a gingerbread house today, and Jake had a lot of fun looking, touching, and tasting some of our handy work:


All in all, Jake has been pretty good with all the decorations. We're teaching him to be "gentle" and "use soft hands", while also encouraging his curiosity. Tonight, Jake got into the ribbons that I've been using to decorate with, so I helped him get wrapped up in them. I don't think he was as excited about them as I have been:


Tonight, these pictures have got me thinking about last Christmas. As happy as I was to have this new little man in my life, it was also a very difficult holiday away from my family, stressed, anxious, and sleep-deprived, and adjusting to life as a new mom. Regardless, Jakey managed to find wonder in the season.


As beautiful as Jake's first Christmas was, though, I think we're all going to enjoy this one quite a bit more.

No comments: